Tuesday, June 26, 2012

REAL Good: Week 2

I was out of town at the Gospel Coalition Women's Conference this past weekend, so I'm a little behind in the rest of life (although I did come home to a sparking clean house!).

I mentioned last week that because of our CSA, I will have $59 dollars to spend weekly on groceries.  This proved to be tough last week.  So I'm hoping for more success this go around.  A lot of this has been trial and error.  I had no idea how much processed food we ate until I became aware of what "processed" entails.  Breakfast has been the toughest.  Nearly all cereal, granola and baked goods are highly processed.  So, I've been making a lot of breakfasts from scratch.  More time, but less $$.  And sandwich bread...have you ever looked at your favorite sandwich bread label?  Yikes.  Unless of course, you buy yours from Great Harvest Bread Co.

I will be posting some recipes later on how I've made this work.


Here is last weeks totals:

CSA: $41.00


kohlrabi (kinda like a turnip..made these with it)
beets (trying to figure out a way to get them down!)
green beans
greens (added to frittata, chicken and dumplings)
garlic
whole chicken
mozzarella
basil

Trader Joes: $64.64


Pineapple
Salad mix
organic ketchup
cashews
organic yogurt
walnuts
pistachios
bananas
organic milk
1 lb organic grass fed ground beef (which made the best burger I've had in a WHILE!)
peanut butter
organic apple sauce
tortillas
honey
artisan lettuce
vanilla
pepper

Although I did go slightly over budget (which I freaked out about and my husband was thrilled I bought organic food for only $5 more than conventional...so telling of our personalities!), this was my first week of learning how to do this.

Because of going out of town the weekend wasn't necessarily the best experience and warranted a trip out for more milk, but over all we feel good about this week!  My hope is to be able to keep my same $100/week budget and make this thing work, but we are willing to make some adjustments if we have to.

Now I'm off to check on my sandwich bread baking and whole wheat muffin making!

No comments:

Post a Comment