Thursday, June 14, 2012

Its All New: REAL Good

We are getting adjusted to our new life in our city.  Other than navigating how to get everywhere in the (MUCH more than the 'boro) traffic, we are loving it!  The church is amazing, our apartment is nearly perfect (except let us pause for a moment of silence for my old kitchen...sniffle), there is much to explore, and we have certainly loved having so many things to do within 5 miles of our house.  The Lord has been so faithful to us and we certainly feel that we are resting in His presence.

In all our transition we have had a hundred little things to take care of.  One of those was cancelling our Dish (sigh: goodbye Food Network).  Because of that we finally dove into the wonderful world of Netflix.  I had been really wanting to watch "Food Inc" and thankfully, unlike Redbox, Netflix carries documentaries.  I knew it may shed a little light on some things about what we eat that might be eye-opening, but I had NO idea the impact it would have on us.

 Previously, I have been a healthy eater.  I'm pretty particular about how many vegetables my family gets and have worked hard to make healthy, tasty food that everyone loves.  But I haven't done the organic thing (except milk), and I shop sales almost exclusively.  I haven't, until now, really believed the health difference was worth the financial difference for us.  I won't go into all the details, but would highly recommend watching Food Inc. and making judgements for yourself.

We have a pretty strict (read: rather meager) grocery budget, so I knew taking on this new lifestyle would be interesting, if not impossible. Which, I think is across the board the view of such a lifestyle.  So, I'm going to blog through this thing and hopefully prove to all of us that it can be done. We aren't going "cold turkey" (my man and sweet girl went on a date to "their place" Dunkin just this morning) but we are striving to eat as much REAL, LOCAL, ORGANIC food (including meat) as we can.  My hope is to change the stereotype that it is impossible to eat this way unless you are really financially well off.  So, over the next few weeks I will track our spending and eating habits in hopes of bringing the lofty idea down to reality.

1 comment: