Monday, September 17, 2012

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Brownies!

Sounds rather decadent, huh?  Sounds like something I probably shouldn't be eating at 1:40 in the afternoon while my kiddos sleep.  Aha!  But...they are special, these guys.  :)  And grain free!

Now, if you're wondering why one would even desire to make grain free brownies (or how in the world its possible!) I was in the very same boat just a few weeks ago.  My autoimmune issues were not as easily solved as I'd hoped and it was left with a tough decision.  Go pay hundreds of dollars for blood tests and hope they are conclusive or try something crazy with my diet.  I opted for the cheaper route (ahem...as is typical for me).

I have researched for more hours than I would like to think to find out any autoimmune answers.  I mentioned before that doctors had only told me to use steroid cream and live with it.  But after a good bit of research I found multiple sources that link grains to inflammation, which is clearly an issue in my body.  This whole "grain free" thing isn't new to me.  I have plenty of friends who have jumped on the Paleo bandwagon and swear by it.  I used to scoff and roll my eyes at the crazy idea of never eating grains or dairy and eating bacon like its your j-o-b.  Now, I get it.

It hasn't been easy, AT ALL.  I love grains.   I love muffins and waffles and bread.  Nearly all of my favorite foods are grains.  However, after a week of (mostly, Ive still had some corn) taking them out, my skin is getting better every day.  it even feels like skin now instead of say...an alligator.  :)

If you have an autoimmune disorder (RA, eczema, psoriasis, etc) I would strongly encourage trying this for a few weeks.  I have been able to function the past 4 days like I haven't been free to for months!  I am hopeful that it will continue to heal as I stick to this craziness.

But thats not what you're here for.  The recipe....

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Grain Free Brownies

1 cup peanut butter (I used half natural, half sun butter)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  Pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  ENJOY with no guilt!  (you could also use almond butter which is what the recipe originally called for...but I'm allergic!)

No comments:

Post a Comment